As I’m starting to generate some significant traffic here at Southern Reformation, it’s only a matter of time before someone starts leaving snarky comments on some of the posts. That being the case, I thought that it would be a good idea to post some ground rules for commenting on my blog.
- Be polite.
- If you can’t be polite, at bare minimum be respectful. Believe me, I can take snarky comments, but if you cross the line into disrespect, you’ll only get one warning. After that, you get the boot.
- Disagree strongly, if you so desire! I’m not a tyrant who wants to shut down strong disagreement. However, keep it above the belt.
- No name calling
- No ad hominem argumentation.
- While I freely admit that I have a bit of grammar Nazi in me, bad grammar won’t keep your comment from being posted. On the other hand, please at least aim for your thoughts to be comprehensible, and attempt to use some sort of punctuation.
- Ask yourself before posting, “Is this kind, helpful, or necessary?” If it’s not, hold your tongue.
- Those who aren’t Christians or have been through the wringer (thanks to issues like tyrannical pastors, spiritual abuse, and sexual abuse) are going to have these policies applied to them with much less rigor. In other words, for the most part, they can say whatever they like. Yes, I know that’s not fair. Get over it.
- I’m a former soldier, so I understand the desire to use a well-placed expletive. I’ve been known to use a few on occasion. Nevertheless, foul language won’t be tolerated in the comments area. And I get to decide what constitutes “foul.”
- If you self identify as a heretic, or belong to a heretical organization (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christadelphians, Christian Scientists, etc.), only one comment will be posted, after which you will urged to repent and trust in Christ. After your one comment, you get nothing.
Thanks for reading!